We’re Always Looking for Good People to Join Our Team
Caring for our precious pups and mamas takes a ton of time, effort and people! We’re always keeping a lookout for really great people who can join our team, love what they do and feel the satisfaction that comes with saving the lives of these adorable and deserving animals.
Take a look at our current job openings below!
Part-time at $14.50 an hour or full-time at $32,000 annually
Almost There Rescue (ATR) is seeking a Behavior Specialist who is comfortable handling dogs of all sizes and temperaments. The Behavior Coordinator will use fear-free, force-free, positive reinforcement-based practices to enrich the lives of the dogs during their stay at ATR, as well as work to correct poor or difficult behavior and train towards basic obedience and skills to set them up for success in their future homes. Behavior Specialists should be confident, organized, passionate, and have good communication skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with Behavior Programs Manager; Perform duties as assigned by the Behavior Programs Manager in a timely manner.
- Maintain behavior & enrichment equipment, keeping inventory and ordering supplies or asking for donations when necessary.
- Assess the behavior of each ATR adult dog upon intake, and again on a weekly basis or as needed.
- Determine if a pet is not suitable for adoption through ATR.
- Maintain and update reports on the behavior of each ATR dog in Animal Shelter Manager, including assessment of dog with men, women, other dogs, temperament, and personality notes, behavior modification, training progress, and enrichment.
- Speak directly and professionally with owners, adopters, staff, and volunteers in regards to the dog’s behavior and suitability for adoption through ATR.
- Assist Medical Coordinator with providing treatment for animals as needed.
- Create and implement enrichment, behavior modification, and training plans for each adult dog to be followed by yourself, the behavior team, staff, and volunteers; Gauge effectiveness of said enrichment, behavior modification, & training with specific dog and change if necessary.
- Help to enforce, oversee, and improve the use of Puppy Culture in shelter and in foster homes.
- Recruit, manage, and train a group of behavior volunteers to assist in and perform tasks when deemed safe, including various enrichment, training, and behavior modification.
- Handle dog introductions between dogs of potential adopters and ATR dogs.
- Recruit and manage a list of solid “Shaper” Dogs to be used as needed for dog intros, puppy socialization, & puppy classes.
- Handle introductions, learning, and play-time with Shaper Dog and puppies.
- Create, schedule, and run Puppy Classes.
- Be the point of contact for adopters with behavior questions or concerns to point them in the right direction and help them create a course of action.
- Create and schedule continued education for staff & volunteers including dog behavior, dog body language, etc.
- Train staff and volunteers on appropriate handling and bite prevention.
- Work closely with staff, volunteers, fosters, and adoption counselors as needed to help avoid problems before they start.
- Interact with and assist other staff and volunteers as needed.
- All other tasks as needed.
- CPDT-KA or comparable certification in training or animal behavior.
- Use and promote fear-free, force-free, positive reinforcement-based training.
- Shelter/Rescue experience preferred.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Must be able to function in a fast-paced environment.
This position requires continuous standing, walking and kneeling, reaching, stooping and bending with little opportunity to sit down. This person must be able to lift and carry up to 70 pounds. The Behavior Technician works with and around others nearly all the time; seldom works alone and must deal with constant interruptions. The position requires repetitive motion of the hand, wrist and elbow as well as good vision and hearing. Must be able to hear above the sound of the animals and be able to speak clearly and communicate well with employees and the public. This individual handles a high volume of animals, has a great deal of contact with the all departments and works closely with co-workers; is exposed to poor ventilation, heat, cold, sudden temperature changes and wet quarters as well as noise, toxic conditions, animal odors and dander as well as potentially dangerous, fast-moving animals.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change. For example: emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs, or technological breakdowns and developments. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk or hear, taste or smell. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
There will be exposure to dust, heat, cold and temperature changes; occasional wet floors, and animal noises, odors and dander.
Animal Care Specialist
Part Time or Full Time
Within the hours of 6am-9pm Monday-Sunday
A clean home is a happy home! Keep our pups and people happy by tending to the mutternity suites, play areas, and public spaces, making sure to keep every space squeaky clean and sanitized! Keep an eye on our pups to ensure everyone is looking happy & healthy, enter notes and information into our online database, keep our various rooms properly stocked, feed and water the pups, mop the floors, and do laundry. This job is not for the faint of heart: you will see and clean a lot of poop- all different kinds- all day. You will also see a lot of happy wagging tails and receive tons of puppy kisses, which make it all worthwhile!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Clean and sanitize entire facility (both public and private spaces) and animal habitats according to outlined procedures in a timely manner, including emptying garbage, washing and sanitizing floors, bowls, blankets, and towels in all locations.
- Clean dog kennels. Have complete knowledge of all cleaning and animal care procedures.
- Handle all animals humanely and safely using safety equipment if necessary.
- Feed, water and observe animals brought into Almost There Rescue for signs of illness and behavior pattern changes.
- Be able to recognize signs of illness or behavior changes and enter correct information into the computer.
- Knowledge of cleaning chemicals, proper handling of cleaning chemicals, and safety procedures while
using and handling cleaning chemicals.
- Interact with internal and external customers while maintaining a friendly and helpful demeanor.
- Restock supplies in all areas as outlined.
- Assist in training of new staff members.
- Move animals as required and change kennel location in the computer.
- Clean laundry, fold, and neatly stack on shelves.
- Feed all animals as required. Note any exceptions placed for that kennel. Provide clean/fresh water daily. Check all animal water containers periodically.
- Transport dogs in Almost There Rescue vehicle when transportation volunteers are not available.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Previous dog handling experience is preferred but not required.
- Applicants must have reliable transportation and the ability to perform in an ever changing, hectic environment.
- This position requires frequent physical demands and movement such as standing, walking, reaching, crouching, kneeling, and the ability to carry supplies and animals weighing over 70lbs.
- Almost There Rescue employees are exposed to potentially dangerous, fast-moving animals. There will be exposure to dust, heat, cold, wet floors, animal noises, animal odors, and animal dander.
Full Time/ $32,000 annual salary
Manage the medical side of Almost There Rescue by scheduling appointments, monitoring the health of our dogs, determining when dogs need medical attention, being the point of contact for veterinary partners, and distributing medications and vaccinations as needed. Medical Coordinator will assist with the intake of new dogs, communicate with fosters about any health concerns, and treat common illness on site when appropriate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Schedule veterinary appointments.
- Schedule spay/neuter appointments.
- Keep record of and oversee medical status of each animal.
- Keep open lines of communication with staff regarding the health of each animal.
- Input medical information and dates into shelter database.
- Handle the intake of new dogs according to ATR protocol.
- Vaccinate, deworm, and microchip all dogs and puppies when needed.
- Check on dogs in person when there is a medical concern.
- Treat common illnesses and distribute medication on-site when appropriate.
- Determine when an animal should be seen by a veterinarian.
- Act as point of contact with veterinary partners.
- Communicate with foster families when there is a medical concern with their foster dog at all hours, both inside and outside our hours of operation to determine a course of action.
- Keep inventory of medical supplies and order more as needed.
- Experience in the dog medical field required.
- Animal shelter experience preferred.
- Must have general knowledge of common shelter illness.
- Must have constant access to phone and email for communicating, scheduling or approving emergency appointments for fosters outside of normal business hours.